It seems after much looking that all Writer have a a window called Navigator which is a very pale imitation of what Word had even in very early incarnations of Word.
Now Writer has some features that are far superior to Word but this omission make Writer unusable for me. I thought that I would look at what the developers think about this.
Their attitude is that they are not a copy of Microsoft Word even if it has features that the users want. This is what I posted to the developers on one thread: ( I am putting my tin hat on now 🙂
I can understand both sides of the problem here, I have seen many blogs from journalists who support Linux but say that it will never become mainstream until the developers give the users what the users want regardless whether the developers like what the users want or not.
The current situation is like going to a pub who have a Trad Jazz Band on, playing what they like, not what the customers want to hear and the Jazz Band getting upset when all the customers leave.
It is like you developers being forced into developing without using snippets or syntax checkers just because Mr Gates has them. Bill uses them so we won’t, just to spite him. Rearrange this to make a meaningful sentence:
Spite cutting off face to nose your your.
The danger here is that I and others would be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for the features in Libreoffice that we want.
We all know that is the start of a slippery slope. So, here is the deal, you give us what we want and we will let you use: vi spell nroff troff LatEx awk sed and the pipe character for your word processing.
Just a thought
I know it wont make any difference, the developers like mummy, know what’s best 🙂
- [Windows] Best free Microsoft Word alternative (best free word processing program) (dottech.org)
- 12 Ways LibreOffice Writer Tops Microsoft Word (eogn.com)
- Help Make LibreOffice 4.0 Great [OStatic] (ostatic.com)
- Something about open source: LibreOffice and Linux (anthonyvenable110.wordpress.com)
- Linux Journal Best Office Suite 2012 (documentfoundation.org)
- LibreOffice (for Mac) (pcmag.com)
- LibreOffice 4.0 Beta 2 Is Looking Good (phoronix.com)
- Google Docs Vs. Microsoft Word: an Even Matchup? (developers.slashdot.org)
- LibreOffice 4.0.0 Beta 2 Fixes DOCX File Import, Download Now (news.softpedia.com)